The Abandon Ship! project is currently seeking volunteers to help with the development and delivery of the exhibition and events programme.
There are opportunities to:
- Research and write exhibition interpretation texts and blog articles
- Gain practical experience in object handling and display
- Write and present informal mini-lectures for visitors
- Provide orientation for visitors, stewarding, assisting with Front of House and events
- Develop and deliver family workshops and activities
Volunteers will be supported by experienced museum & heritage professionals, who will work with them on individual training plans to develop new skills. Reasonable travel expenses will be paid and volunteers will get free lunch and refreshment on board. Certificates and letters of reference can be provided at the end of the exhibition. There will also be on-going opportunities to volunteer as the development of the Wellington’s heritage offer continues after the exhibition.
As well as attending initial training, volunteers interested in taking part in exhibition development should be available ideally one day a week (Tuesdays TBC), March – May. The exhibition will be open on Sundays & Mondays. Volunteers interested in taking part in programme delivery should be available one day a week, ideally for the duration of the exhibition. For more information or to discuss ways you might be able to take part, please get in touch using the contact form below:
Download the flyer:volunteers.